Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Insight into Yale(SOM) application - Video Questions






I applied to Yale SOM in round 1. Unlike many other schools, Yale SOM required only essay question and thus making it more difficult for applicant to showcase their different characteristic traits. Another distinct feature about the Yale SOM application was its video questions. Frankly, I was quite nervous about the whole impromptu video question format; however, once I started with the question I felt more relaxed and good about the whole format. In the video question one will be asked 3 questions and he/she will be given 20 Sec to think and formulate an answer, followed by 60 Sec to record an answer. Yale SOM also provides the 2 sample video question for practice. These questions are pretty simple and don’t require any prior research or preparation. Question are more in the format of company interview questions usually asked by HR.
I don’t have the exact wording of the questions on my application, but I’ll try to rephrase the questions to the best of my memory.
  1.  According to you what is the best quality a leader should have?
  2.  How would you resolve a conflict in your team setting?
  3. Do you think presentation of an idea has more significance than its merit? Explain the reasoning for your choice?

One thing that did trouble me during the video questions was the volume, not properly audible. I couldn’t get the complete sentence in the 3rd question; however, fortunately every question is also available in the on the screen to read.

My advice for applicants, who are applying to Yale SOM, is try to relax and be calm. Video questions are the best and fun part of the application. I did enjoy this section of my application and advise everyone to do the same. Don’t think too much about your answers, just try to be yourself. Also dress properly and make sure that you have proper lightning before you start with your video question. 

If you want me to write about any other aspect of my application and school research, do let me know.

8 comments:

  1. Students with finance backgrounds comprise the largest percentage of the incoming class at top business schools. Working hard to stand out with a highly typical career background is going to be the largest hurdle to admission. mba application cover letter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post. Could you elaborate on what you prepare during the 20s preparation time? Did you jot down notes or just thought about what to say. In any case, it's like TOEFL where one does not get enough time and during the TOEFL, I just rambled what came to my mind.

    Do you suggest to do the same in Yale applications?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siddharth, I just jot down the points I'm going to talk about and created the priority list of them. I elaborated the most important point in a bit more detail so a story telling structure would help.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Hemant Rajput for this great post. You talk about Yale application. I have read this post very carefully. This website is really nice. I am waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing an application is a big task so we should always write properly. This is only possible to hire a best person who can write it according to the plan and requirement. So all the best people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Composing a credit card application is really a large job therefore my blog we ought to usually create correctly. This really is just feasible to employ the greatest individual who may create this based on the strategy as well as necessity. Therefore best wishes individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. University admission test is very important of every student life , but sometime many students can't achieve due to lack of information . your post will help many students for their statement of purpose economics this site is really good for me.

    ReplyDelete