Monday, October 20, 2014

Tuck (Dartmouth) - School Research

After submitting 2 applications (Duke and Yale) in round 1 I started focusing on my next target schools (Tuck and Darden). I’ve been following activities at Tuck for quite a long time and with each update or chat about the school on Facebook, blogs or mails, my fondness for Tuck keep on increasing. Tuck is my top priority school because of several reasons. For me, it actually is the benchmark; I evaluate other schools’ culture and their alumni network with Tuck’s. Usually I write about my school research in “attractive” and “not so attractive” section; however, for me there is very little scope for “not so attractive”. Here is the rest of the story –
Things I liked most about Tuck – 

1. Tuck Alumni network – The Tuck graduates commitment back to the school is the higher than any other (70 % of the alumni gave $6.3 million in 2013 – read the full report here). The commitment describes the attachment of the graduates with the school. During my research I interacted with several alumni and each of them were so down to earth that you can just be in their awe. They appreciate your good question and also guide you when you make mistakes. The guidance I received from the alumni, especially Jed Struman, was extraordinary.

2. Program at Tuck – Tuck offers so many programs to hone your personality and leadership skills and the way professor teach them, is simply amazing. Programs such as “Research to seminar”, “Independent Study”, “Wall-Street Edge program (Initiated by Tuck student) and “Communicating with presence and Negotiations” were the few extraordinary ones.

3. Faculties – A higher percentage (86%) of Tuck’s classes is taught by full-time faculty members than at most MBA programs, as opposed to visiting professors, lecturers, and adjuncts. Prof. Govindrajan, Prof. Goldsmith and Prof. Finkelstien are among the world's top 50 management Gurus.

4. Small Student Body – Tuck has a relatively smaller student body than other elite B-schools. You have the opportunity to bond with every other student and build a more personal relationship.


Things that are not so good about Tuck –

1. Lower Rank – Tuck is ranked quite low in many B-school rating lists. Tuck made it to the top-10 only in U.S. news ranking. In fact, it is ranked 20 in Financial Times rating. In the recent Economist ranking, Tuck is ranked at 2nd position; however, many people don’t consider Economist ratings significant as many elite b-schools do not take part in Economist ratings.
2. High Tuition Fees – Tuck is among the group of expensiveB-schools, only behind Harvard and Wharton.

I submitted my Tuck application in the early action round and now waiting for the news. If you want to know anything specific about my application progress, or want to learn about my research, do drop me a message.
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I applied at tuck and Yale in R1 and been admitted at both. I would not give much weight to tuck rank. It's without any doubt a top 10 program and I was impressed by employment stats contained in the welcome pack. I think its the best in the bunch of schools you selected.

    ReplyDelete