Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Journey So Far...



After finishing all my Round 1 applications, now I’m waiting on their results and preparing for the Round 2 schools. I decided to take some time to relax after Round 1 application, but it seems that relaxing in a journey to B-school is far from reality. The anxiety level is at all-time high, because every day while you wait to hear from the schools, you see people getting interview invites, while at the same time, no notification about your applications; hence adding up a lot of frustration and anxiety. I got a quick notification on my Duke application; however, the news was not pleasant. Now with all the waiting and anxiousness, it is really getting hard to concentrate for Round 2 school applications, so I thought of kick starting again with writing about the my Round 1 journey and plan for Round 2 applications.

I planned to apply to 6 schools – Duke, Yale, Tuck, Darden, Columbia and UCLA in Round 1 but then ended up with applying to only 4, skipping Columbia and UCLA. I decided to let go Columbia because I missed the early action round deadline due to the application load of Darden and Tuck. Columbia is anyways a stretch school for me, so I decided to concentrate on other 2 realistic applications. After Darden and Tuck, UCLA was next in the line for the round 1. I started researching about it, connecting with Alumni and AdCom to find if it is the right program for me. I found out that the UCLA teaching style is “Lecture-based”, which is a definite down for me as I’m sold on for “Case-based” style. I also found that UCLA is at a disadvantage compared to other East coast School, for someone who is seeking a position in Financial world; another down for UCLA. I choose UCLA for its strong footprint in Media and Entertainment industry, but as I was not sure if I wanted to pursue a career in this industry, I let go UCLA for its 2 down to 1 up.

Now, as I’m waiting for my Round 1 application decisions, I shortlisted schools for round 2 applications. Here is the list – 
  1. NYU Stern 
  2. ISB 
  3. Michigan Ross   
  4. Cornell  
  5. UNC Kenan-Flagler or Carnegie Mellon Tepper (not sure about them)
NYU is my replacement for both Columbia and UCLA. It is located in the world’s financial capital, New York City, with a strong foothold in both Finance and Entertainment world; however, cracking NYU seems a bit tough task because of its applicant’s higher mean GMAT score. Two of these schools – NYC and ISB – have deadlines in November, and with the waiting time adding to the anxiety, making this round tougher than the Round 1. Let's see what the future holds.

If you want to know anything specific about my application progress, or want to learn about my research, do drop me a message.

2 comments:

  1. That is the best Technology usage for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When one problem ends another gets aboard with no-anchore and we have to manage ourselves to settle the problem in a way to prove ourselves. I have also faced such circumstances when I was preparing for school exams.

    ReplyDelete