Friday, August 29, 2014

Yale School of Management - Research Excerpt

 



This is second post about my research on B-schools I'm applying into. This research is very crucial in selecting the right B-school for me, for finding the ideal cycle to apply and for preparing a competitive application. I'll describe how my research is organized so that if you want to read only a particular aspect of my research you can jump directly onto it. First, I describe about reason for my selection of school. Second, I describe what are the plus point for me in the schools. Third, I describe what else I'm looking for in the school. And last, other areas for more research.

Like Tuck, Yale School of Management is on top my B-school list. Among the top elite B-Schools, Yale is the youngest B-school. Yale seems so lucrative to me that it actually fits the definition of "Dream School". It has extraordinary and very distinctive Curriculum. Yale under the leadership of Dean Snyder is gaining new heights every year. Current FT ranking places Yale at 10th position, jump of 5 in a year.

Things I like about Yale -

1. Class Strength - Yale's class strength of class of 2016 is 219. The small student body has the advantage of having the opportunity to get to know each member of your class, build a personal relation with each member and learn more comfortably about the different perspectives, cultures and traditions at more personal level.

2. Raw Case - Yale's Raw Case is unique version of popular case study method. The cases, synthesized by Yale's research team and faculty,  are quite similar to the real case method that one might encounter in real world and involve multimedia platform. These case are available on Yale's site for reference and it seems other colleges also use them in their curriculum.

3. International Experience -  First year students are required to gain the international experience by going on the tour to one of the several part of the world to study the area of their interest. This seems quiet fascinating method to me.

Things that are not so attractive about Yale -

1. Smaller Alumni Network - Because Yale is very young and because it has small student body, its Alumni network is small compared to other elite B-school's; however, I feel that this factor is not much of a concern as being part of Yale's network, you not only have access to SOM alumni but also to other schools of Yale university and because of the close association of SOM curriculum with other schools one has network possibilities with other student bodies and alumni . Also having a small alumni body means reach to the seniors would be easy and effective.

2. Tougher Selection Process - Because Yale has smaller student body means the admission team will be very selective. One need to make quiet an impression to get into this wonderful school.


This is pretty much all from my research about Yale SOM. I'm not finished with conversation with current students, hence I delaying conversation with Yale's student for later period.

If you like me to consider any specific detail about college do comment below.


Sources - Poetsandquant.com, Veritas Prep Essential Guide, Yale SOM website

No comments:

Post a Comment